Saturday 22 September 2012

Sensei's Daily Encouragement - 22 September 2012 - The Year of Developing a Youthful SGI

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Saturday, September 22, 2012
 
The principle that "Buddhism equals life" means that everything in one's life is itself Buddhism. The principle that "Buddhism becomes manifest in society" means that society, too, is at one with Buddhism. The struggle for kosen-rufu can be waged only within the realities of life and society. Those who earnestly grapple with these realities develop strength and inner substance. They develop and grow.
 

 
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Saturday, September 22, 2012
 
I cannot see the sun in the daytime or the moon at night. In winter there is deep snow, and in summer the grass grows thick. Because so few people come to see me, the trail is very hard to travel. This year, especially, the snow is so deep that I have no visitors at all. Knowing that my life may end at any time, I put all my trust in the Lotus Sutra.
 
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 779
The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra
Written to the lay nun Konichi in 1276
 

 
Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Saturday, September 22, 2012
 
Buddhism views illness as an opportunity to attain a higher, nobler state of life. It teaches that, instead of agonizing over a serious disease, or despairing of ever overcoming it, we should use illness as a means to build a strong, compassionate self, which in turn will make it possible for us to be truly victorious.
 

 
Daisaku Ikeda - A Youthful Diary (1957) p.367
 
Rested for a while in the late afternoon.  My strength returned.  Getting rest is also important.  Physical strength and energy are the source of power for waging a campaign.
 
Though winning and losing are normal events in the course of a person's life, I pray to the Buddha for my final victory.
 
I will engrave in my life this waka poem I received from Sensei; I shall not forget it.
 
In the evening, my wife and I discussed our plans for the coming year.  Hope rises.  The future opens.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment