Monday 19 August 2013

Sensei's Daily Encouragement - 19 August 2013 - Year of Victory for a Youthful SGI

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
 
Monday, August 19, 2013
 
Buddhism is wisdom. As long as we have wisdom, we can put all things to the best use, we can turn everything in the direction of happiness.
 

 
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
 
Monday, August 19, 2013
 
During [Sudatta's] last period of poverty, when all the people had fled or perished and only he and his wife remained, they had five measures of rice that would nourish them for five days. At that time, five people, Mahakashyapa, Shariputra, Ananda, Rahula and Shakyamuni Buddha came one after another to beg for the five measures of rice, which Sudatta gave them. From that day on, Sudatta was the wealthiest man in all India, and he built the Jetavana Monastery. From this, you should understand all things.
 
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1086
The Wealthy Man Sudatta
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on December 27, 1280
 

 
Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
 
Monday, August 19, 2013
 
Ultimately, we are responsible for our own destiny. It may seem to us that our fate is predetermined, whether by our genes or by our environment. What really matters, however, is how we can improve ourselves from this moment forward, how we can change the circumstances that we find ourselves in. This enormous transformative force is what Buddhism is all about. In this struggle lies the source of never-ending youth and vitality.
 

 
Excerpt from Daisaku Ikeda - A Youthful Diary  (09 September 1950) p.47
 
I believe in my eventual victory.  Daimoku will be its driving force.
 
I am young.  I will advance.  Straight ahead, on the road I must follow.
I am young.  I will fulfill what the heavens have ordained.
I am young.  I will muster my courage, convinced that all struggles under my teacher's guidance will lead to the good.
I am young.  I must keep my spirits up, whether I win or lose, even during painful or lonely times.



No comments:

Post a Comment